Sunday, June 12, 2011

E3 and Wii U



E3 is done! What a week! Man, I sure enjoyed going to that! Of course, that's what I would say if I did go, but given that this is not a "proper" news outlet and my industry cred is minimal, I'd say it will be a bit before I get a chance to see what is one of the biggest game industry events in person.*
*Side note: if you would like to sponsor Dressed as Lawyers to attend next year's E3, and grow our game "street" cred, we would gladly accept your free money.

That aside, I would like to take a moment to focus on what was without a doubt the biggest talk of E3: Wii U. Much of the talk from the arm chair public was of intrigue but minor acceptance, along some of the game journalists' pointing out areas where the Wii U was beaten to the punch by Apple and On-Live. It may be the cynic that is being called forth by the public-felt burn of the Wii, given that there was never much hardcore gamer support with it, and what was brought to the table was a large amount of waggle-mote games that never broke any interest beyond what Big N built in-house. This is what I feel is the biggest reason for the Wii U, to bring the core gamers back to Nintendo's shores.


It's biggest draw, and the main reason for my debate on purchasing one on launch day, is the ability to play games through the media-coined "WiiPad". The ability to do that has been something most grown gamers have wanted for a while. The ability for me to play Darksiders 2 anywhere in the house, while my wife reads a book and we have on the Advanced D & D episode of Community, (hilarious by the way), all at the same time, is a huge advantage over the PS3 and 360. It's what core gamers need, but the key to this will be if Nintendo can deliver the 3rd party support that has been sorely lacking. And if they stay away from too much gimmick work for the WiiPad to be used in novel ways; we don't need any more waggle-motion games. Come up with some genuine unique ways to use the WiiPad designers!

No comments:

Post a Comment