Homefront starts off like any other post-apocalyptic RPG, waking up. I never found out how or why you got where you were or why, since your are a USAF trained fighter pilot you didn't go down in the war against the Koreans, but I'm going to ignore all that because I don't care enough to put any energy into it. You also start off not fully in control of your character, sure you get to walk about but you're trapped in a room with angry Korean soldiers banging on your door and as soon as you get next to it the game takes over and puts you on a scene-setting bus ride. The graphics are nice and the story is decent, however after watching that, in my opinion, superb video on Steam I can't help but feel the plot was lacking. Wait, wait, wait. I'm still supposed to be talking about good things...
Ah fuck it. The AI took a shit on any part of the store line that might have been good. While running through a burning warehouse the so called "leader" of your rag-tag gang spent more time yelling "hurry up" and waving than shooting bad guys and moving his fat ass toward the exit. The woman they've started attaching to every group that forms in a video game decided, at the top of the stairs about 10 feet fromt he door, to informe us she couldn't go any further which naturally, triggered our fearless leader to stop at the door and give a speach about how we "can't stop here" and "can't give up now" because "we're almost there" and... yeah, no shit. And if he would move out of the damn way we could get out of this continuity-breaking moment a little bit faster.
Other than that I enjoyed the game, but who wouldn't? Running about in a rubble-coated landscape shooting anything that moves. Plus you get to fly the easiest helicopter you've ever piloted.
There is multiplayer as well. The only thing I noticed that made it differ in any way from every other shooter made in the last year or so was the "capture the flag" mode. No, they didn't change the game play any and no there aren't any special rules. Why did I like it? There wasn't a damn flag. I understand why they put flags in, but how realistic is that? Unlike all the level 50 bastards in Bad Company 2, I actually enjoy a little realism in my multiplayer FPSs.
And that's pretty much all I have to say about it. Well maybe there is a little more, but my battery is dying on my laptop and my physics class is starting good. Off to learn about the bane of all pre-Source engine FPSs!


No comments:
Post a Comment